Subject: [boost] [assert][lightweight_test] Quick review of proposed changes
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-21 11:49:25
In reviewing the "[assert] static_assert envy" thread, I agreed with
> MHO, the last thing we need is lots of minor variations that
> don't add any real utility.
KISS was also a factor, as I wanted to add only features that I would
personally use right away, or that were needed for BOOST_ASSERT
It boiled down to the following:
* Added BOOST_ASSERT_MSG(expr, msg) macro. If expr is false,
outputs msg, then calls std::abort().
BOOST_DISABLE_ASSERTS behaves the same as in BOOST_ASSERT.
BOOST_ENABLE_ASSERT_MSG_HANDLER enables a separate error handler.
BOOST_ASSERT_MSG_OSTREAM defaults to std::cerr. User may define to
specify a different output stream.
* Added BOOST_ASSERT_MSG test cases to libs/utility/assert_test.cpp
* Added BOOST_ASSERT_MSG docs to libs/utility/assert_test.cpp
<boost/detail/lightweight_test.hpp> has the same Visual Studio output
interleaving problem, so it makes sense to apply a similar fix at the
* Messages are now sent do BOOST_LIGHTWEIGHT_TEST_OSTREAM
* BOOST_LIGHTWEIGHT_TEST_OSTREAM defaults to std::cerr. User may
define to specify the output stream for messages.
Let's do a quick review before these get committed to trunk. Say until
Monday morning. (They won't go in 1.46.0; far too late for that.)
Boost list run by bdawes at acm.org, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk