Subject: Re: [boost] Using Boost without confusing Intellisense
From: Nelson, Erik - 2 (erik.l.nelson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-09 15:36:20

Stephan T. Lavavej wrote on: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 3:05 PM
> Intellisense was completely reimplemented between 2008 and 2010. They
> threw away FEACP, a flaky mutant build of our real C++ front-end C1XX,
> and replaced it with EDG's front-end, which is renowned for its
> conformance. As a result, Boost shouldn't confuse Intellisense anymore.
>
> I suggest upgrading to 2010 immediately. If you encounter any remaining
> problems, please report them immediately - our Intellisense team is
> very diligent about fixing differences between C1XX and EDG. (I speak
> from experience, since the STL's implementation involves compiler-
> stressing code, although not as much as Boost!)

My group upgraded to MSVC2010 recently on my recommendation. 2010 has its own issues that may be just as annoying as the 2008 Intellisense, if not more so, including (in my experience)

- a deathly slow editor
- no Multiple Document Interface
- a separate Intellisense server created process for each open document (my understanding- correct me if I'm wrong)
- frequent crashes of these background processes
- CPU hog
- much slower compiles

Some of these are subjective (and the Intellisense accuracy is improved from 2008), but it's a bit of a mixed bag overall.

Erik

This message w/attachments (message) is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or proprietary. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, and then please delete and destroy all copies and attachments, and be advised that any review or dissemination of, or the taking of any action in reliance on, the information contained in or attached to this message is prohibited.
Unless specifically indicated, this message is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of any investment products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any transaction, or an official statement of Sender. Subject to applicable law, Sender may intercept, monitor, review and retain e-communications (EC) traveling through its networks/systems and may produce any such EC to regulators, law enforcement, in litigation and as required by law.
The laws of the country of each sender/recipient may impact the handling of EC, and EC may be archived, supervised and produced in countries other than the country in which you are located. This message cannot be guaranteed to be secure or free of errors or viruses.

References to "Sender" are references to any subsidiary of Bank of America Corporation. Securities and Insurance Products: * Are Not FDIC Insured * Are Not Bank Guaranteed * May Lose Value * Are Not a Bank Deposit * Are Not a Condition to Any Banking Service or Activity * Are Not Insured by Any Federal Government Agency. Attachments that are part of this EC may have additional important disclosures and disclaimers, which you should read. This message is subject to terms available at the following link:
http://www.bankofamerica.com/emaildisclaimer. By messaging with Sender you consent to the foregoing.