Subject: Re: [boost] [1.47] New libraries
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-17 18:08:06

On 3/17/2011 12:41 PM, Michael Caisse wrote:
> On 03/17/2011 02:24 AM, Daniel James wrote:
>> On 17 March 2011 08:52, Thomas Heller<thom.heller_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> There are still some unresolved issues. Mainly how to deal with the
>>> migration of Boost.Bind, Boost.Lambda and Phoenix V2. There hasn't
>>> been any discussion regarding that.
>> I don't think it'd be a good idea to do anything to bind or lambda in
>> this release. Was there a consensus on replacing them? Personally, I'd
>> like to keep the existing Boost.Bind, even if in a different
>> namespace. I appreciate its relative simplicity and portability.
>>
>> Daniel
>
> I would like to echo this sentiment. IMHO a good plan would be to
> release Phoenix V3 in 1.47 as a first class citizen. That will increase
> the exposure of the library and provide more confidence to users in
> selecting Phoenix over BLL and possibly Boost.Bind. As releases
> continue, then we can add forwarding headers and other mechanism to
> eventually deprecate BLL.
>
> Thomas has done an excellent job at mitigating the technical issues for
> migration to Phoenix; however, we should not hold up release of the
> library while the logistics are being considered.

+1

How many years has it been that Phoenix has been held up from being
released as a first class Boost library ? Let's get it out so that
people will actually have the docs and can try it, and then think in the
future of how bind and/or lambda can be transitioned to Phoenix if it
provides a suitable replacement. I will not believe it if Phoenix is
held up once again for yet another technical reason.