Subject: Re: [boost] lhs/rhs ([Review] Type Traits Extension ending tomorrow)
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-22 10:32:52

Max Sobolev wrote:
> On 21.03.2011 21:06, Dave Abrahams wrote:
> > it's a mistake to break with a well-established convention
> > that works just on principle. The chance that your
> > alternative will work better in practice is extremely low.
>
> I think that preference in /*hs/ names is some sort of (old)
> harmful habit, we must go away from this naming style. 50
> years ago GOTO statement also were considered as excellent
> programming instrument. (progress isn't stayed)

There is nothing remotely harmful in "lhs" or "rhs."

> Even if my naming convention isn't sufficient, this is not
> means that yours is good enough :) to use it (In general, we
> must formulate a new naming convention for binary operator
> arguments.)

No, we mustn't. You may prefer to see it happen, but there's no "must" here.

This may well be a language barrier, but I find "left hand side" and "right hand side" to be precisely the right names for the expressions surrounding a binary operator and "lhs" and "rhs" to be perfectly recognizable and readable abbreviations for those names.

Other names, like "left" and "right" are not sufficiently descriptive; they don't quite connote the idea of things to the left and right side of a third thing. However, "left" and "right" could supplant "lhs" and "rhs" if they were used often enough.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]
Software Engineer using std::disclaimer;
Dev Tools & Components