Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc] Interest in BGL v2?
From: Gordon Woodhull (gordon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-31 09:39:08

On Mar 31, 2011, at 9:01 AM, Michael Lopez <mlopez7_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> The BGL concept hierarchy is being re-evaluated based on the rewrite of the
> data structures and algorithms, meaning that the concepts come after we
> implement most of the data structures and algorithms. We will then analyze
> the library and define the concepts based on the types and algorithms we
> have in place. After constructing the concept hierarchy, we will refine the
> graph types, then the concepts, etc. This iterative method is the approach
> we've chosen for Origin.

My understanding, from talking with Jeremy Siek back in the day (when I had a different competing graph library ;) was that the original graph concepts had been derived by looking at all existing libraries and without any one implementation in mind.

To state my question more directly: is compatibility with other graph libraries a goal of the Origin concepts?

I suppose it needn't be, because it will surely be possible to adapt origin to BGLv1 and that could remain the lingua franca.

Cheers
Gordon