Subject: Re: [boost] [locale] Formal review of Boost.Locale library EXTENDED
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-18 20:10:02

On 4/18/2011 9:53 AM, Paul A. Bristow wrote:

> PS Without wishing to sound too British - "If the natives don't understand,
> just shout louder.",

Now I know why Gandhi fought so hard for an independent country. Yes, I
understand, then above is British humour.

> I have little sympathy with the view expressed that no knowledge of English
> should be required.
> (Is this the cost of Japanese failure in the 80's to succeed in their
> ambition to dominate hardware and software with a world-beating language in
> Japanese?)

What language was that ?

> C++ just is a language in English, so you must surely expect to have some
> rudimentary knowledge of this useful language.

The amount of rudimentary knowledge of English necessay to use C++
keywords and C++ standard library classes is so incredibly little
compared to an actual knowledge of English grammar, that I doubt whether
a knowledge of English is really necessary in any way in order to
program in C++.

My personal objection to Gnu gettext and its English bias has nothing to
do with any desire myself to use a language other than English in order
to communicate, since English ( or perhaps Americanese ) is the language
of the country in which I was born, but nearly everything to do with my
sense of the problems of translating even computer program phraseology
from one language to another without complicating things by having to
put some other language, even a very popular one, in the middle.

Was that a single sentence ? I wonder if it can be translated to Japanese ?