Subject: Re: [boost] [locale] Formal review of Boost.Locale library EXTENDED
From: Ryou Ezoe (boostcpp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-18 22:14:07

Insisting English knowledge is not practical.
Most Japanese C++ programmers don't know English at all.
Worse, it will cause serious problem.

I bet Non-english people will use this library with non-english language.

translate("日本語")

They don't care it only expect ASCII.
They write it just because it can be compiled.

I'm worried about auther's lack of MBCS knowledge.
No matter how many times I explained, he believes that if we use
source file that use UTF-8 with BOM,
MSVC use UTF-8 encoding for string literal with no encoding prefix.
That is wrong. MSVC use shift-jis for string literal "日本語".
MSVC accept all well-known Japanese encoding(shift-jis, JIS, EUC-JP,
UTF-8, UTF-16(both))
It's just because UTF-8 is compatible with ASCII.

As a Japanese, I think this library better be rejected.

--
Ryou Ezoe