Subject: Re: [boost] [locale] Formal review of Boost.Locale library EXTENDED
From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-19 08:04:34

Ryou Ezoe wrote:
> Insisting English knowledge is not practical.
> Most Japanese C++ programmers don't know English at all.
> Worse, it will cause serious problem.
>
> I bet Non-english people will use this library with non-english language.
>
> translate("日本語")
>
> They don't care it only expect ASCII.
> They write it just because it can be compiled.

Am I correct in understanding that you just want the ability to write

    translate( L"日本語" )

instead, with the wide literal automatically converted from UTF-16 to UTF-8
by the library? Or do you demand something more, such as the ability to
write translate("日本語") and have the library correctly handle shift-JIS?