Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Conversion: functors namming
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-23 12:46:25

Vicente BOTET wrote:

> during the Boost.Convert after review discussion there were
> some proposals to use Boost.Phoenix to build the functors.
>
> My question is what should be the name of the function that
> builds the functor. Some possibilities:
>
> short s=1;
> long l=3;
> using boost::phoenix::placeholders::_1;
>
> A- Use a different name: make_converter_to?
>
> s=boost::make_converter_to(*short*)(_1)(l) ;
>
> B- Use the same name in a different namespace. What about using
> "fp" as namespace (functional programming).
>
> s=boost::conversion::fp::convert_to(*short*)(_1)(l) ;
>
> C- Use the same name in the same namespace and use
> SFINAE/enable_if to select the correct implementation depending
> on the parameter.
>
> s=boost::convert_to(*short*)(_1)(l) ;

Your examples hide the functors, which somewhat obscures your request, I think, unless I've missed something. That is, I think you're asking what to name "factory" in the following example:

   auto f(factory<short>(_1));
   short const s(f(static_cast<long>(3)));

Your suggestions for the "factory" call are:

A. boost::make_converter_to<short>(_1)
B. boost::conversion::fp::convert_to<short>(_1)
C. boost::convert_to<short>(_1)

I definitely dislike B. A isn't bad, but it should be in the boost::conversion namespace. C is very nice, but it should be in the boost::conversion namespace. The introduction of the placeholder is enough to signal that the result is a Phoenix lambda.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]
Software Engineer using std::disclaimer;
Dev Tools & Components