Subject: Re: [boost] [gui] Help with a little experiment.
From: Germán Diago (germandiago_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-21 11:09:13

El 21/06/11 14:03, Giorgio Zoppi escribió:
> It should make little sense to me having to code all the GUI in C++.
> We are in 2011,
> processors with CMP and parallel graphics processors, even in embedded
> world (Cortex A9).
>
> +i would aspect a language easy for non programmers gui (ie. qml, xml).
> This will move the focus from programmers to graphic designers doing a
> gui. This could be a
> straightforward step to give them more work and free smart programmers
> for hard stuff.
The point for me is the same. I don't want to have a DSEL exclusively.
I want to have a runtime language as well (resembling the DSEL probably).

If the DSEL is declarative, I don't see much difficulty for a
non-programmer to
learn it. And of course, I agree with all you say.

My use case for embedding a GUI is that I can use a gui file in C++ as a
resource
without a precompilation step. But it's not a substitute for a C++ file.
On top of
the dsel you could make a gui designer easily, but if you want to
generate that one
at runtime, it should be possible as well. So the thing is to be able to
do both things
and use the more convenient for the use case. I think that having the
gui embedded
in c++ at compile time is bad as long as it's easy to use. Even you
could make
a designer use the "runtime" DSEL which would be identical to the
compile-time api
and later, when deploying, replace that with the embedded dsel. But as I
said before,
this proof of concept still requires a lot of thought.