Subject: Re: [boost] Is there interest in e_float:Multiple-precisionfloatand special functions?
From: Christopher Kormanyos (e_float_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-23 11:33:29

OK, the e_float codes are fully prepared for the first trial submission to the sandbox.
I have committed them to my own repository. They are tested and fully equipped with licensing comments.

- The bugs reported in the past have been corrected.
- The special functions have been reduced to include only (elementary transcendental + gamma + zeta) for real and complex.
- The test suite has been reduced accordingly.
- The test program runs in ~1-10 seconds for 100 digits depending on the CPU and selected big-number back-end.
- Big-number back-end support for MPFR, GMP and my own EFX are included.

- The Fortran-90 REAL*16 back-end support has been removed.- A partial implementation of a generic functional interface has been added. I would like someone to take a look at this before I continue with it. I probably did not get it right.

Remember, e_float in its present form only goes up to 300 digits. Nonetheless, I diligently checked compatibility of e_float with my other (bigger digit) programs and found no conflicts or limitations regarding potential extension of e_float to thousands or millions of digits in the future, of course not for every function, only those with known big-number algorithms.

I am interested to see how we might interface e_float with the existing wealth of algorithms in Boost.Math.
I also expect that the e_float code needs a lot of work for potential preparation for boost.
I see this work as one small, but crucial, step toward standardizing big numbers.

I lost my key to the sandbox. Sorry. My bad.
Could you please provide me with a replacement key?

Sincerely, Chris.