Subject: Re: [boost] The Lonely Song of the MPL Maintainer -- or Boost support for antediluvian compiler and the future supprot of C++11
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-14 11:50:25

>>> I agree with you but any Boost library still has to support C++03 for a
>>> good while until compiler vendors catch up with the C++11 standard.
>>
>> I am :
>>
>> 1/ requesting dropping support for non 03 compliant compiler
>> 2/ starting a C++11 only branch of boost
>>
>> not the mix of both.
>>

> Hi Joel,
>
> I don't know, but I guess that the list of 03 compliant compilers will be
> quite short. Have you a list?
>
> How do you qualify a C++11 only branch?
> One that supports only C++11 compliant compilers?
> One that uses only standard C++11 libraries and itself or could libraries
> on
> this branch use libraries on the current Boost branch?

I guess what this comes down to - is what C++11 features do you intend to
use?

If there are a couple of compilers already supporting what you need, then I
suggest you aim for a clean C++11-only MPL if that makes the most sense. We
can always call it MPL-2.0 or something and place it in a different tree
from "legacy" MPL?

John.