Subject: Re: [boost] [test] Trunk broken: What happened to test_exec_monitor?
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-03 13:36:56

on Mon Oct 03 2011, Beman Dawes <bdawes-AT-acm.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 12:03 PM, John Maddock <boost.regex_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> What should have happened is that:
>>
>> * You would announce loud and clear that this feature was going to be
>> removed, and then.
>> * Work with library authors to remove all uses of this feature and verify
>> that nothing is broken in the process.
>> * Merge the changes (and only these changes) to the release branch once
>> everyone is happy.
>> * Only when all uses of the feature have been removed, can the feature
>> actually be removed from Trunk.
>>
>> Any other procedure is sure to cause chaos, not only to Trunk, but all over
>> again to the Release branch if we're not *very* careful.
>
> Wholesale breakage of trunk isn't acceptable anytime, much less this
> late in a release cycle.

This is so obvious, and things like this have happened so many times,
that I'm amazed they're still happening. Gennadiy, what do we have to
do to get you to take appropriate care with respect to your dependent
libraries' test results? Is there some philosophical disagreement with
the expectations of the group that you just can't bring yourself to meet
them?

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing