Subject: Re: [boost] [test] Trunk broken: What happened to test_exec_monitor?
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-04 16:52:27

On 10/4/2011 1:29 PM, Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
> Eric Niebler <eric <at> boostpro.com> writes:

>>> It is. But as you've seen over the years, it causes an unworkable
>>> amount of upset and alarm when large numbers of failures appear on
>>> the trunk all at once, and people who would otherwise be dealing with
>>> release issues now have trunk issues to worry about.
>>
>> It also interferes with those of us who use trunk health to know when
>> it's safe to merge fixes to the release branch. We're basically flying
>> blind right now.
>
> Do you have any particular library in mind?

All of them? I use trunk health to determine when to merge to release
for all of my libraries. And that's the current suggested development
model for all Boost libraries, AFAIK.

>> I'd like to second the call to revert these changes.
>
> And while we at it, let's revert all the changes to Boost.Build, so I can run my
> own regression test against trunk version of it.

I wasn't aware there was a problem with Boost.Build on trunk. What are
you referring to? Link pls.

> I already reverted test_exec_monitor for now. I can reinstate other deprecated
> interfaces, but let's see if there is actually a problem (aside boost.math).

I think there is. All of my tests that use Boost.Test are crashing at
runtime with any version of gcc. I don't use any deprecated Boost.Test
interfaces, AFAIK. And my tests also fail to compile with msvc 9 and 8
due to this:

..\..\..\boost/test/utils/lazy_ostream.hpp(61) : warning C4181:
qualifier applied to reference type; ignored
        c:\boost\org\trunk\libs\xpressive\test\./test.hpp(104) : see
reference to class template instantiation
'boost::unit_test::lazy_ostream_impl<Pr
evType,T,StorageT>' being compiled
        with
        [
            PrevType=const boost::unit_test::lazy_ostream &,
            T=std::string,
            StorageT=const std::string &
        ]

Gennadiy, you've heard enough people complain now. I implore you: please
revert all your changes, and seriously consider testing them
exhaustively on a branch against *all* of Boost before re-committing
them. And on more compilers than just msvc-10.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing