Subject: Re: [boost] [test] Trunk broken: What happened to test_exec_monitor?
From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-05 05:03:09

John Maddock <boost.regex <at> virgin.net> writes:

> >> So you do have a philosophical disagreement with the expectations of the
> >> group. You think you ought to be able to use that development model,
> >> but everyone else expects library authors with boost dependents to test
> >> the dependents before they commit changes.
> >
> > I think that even existing system can be easily improved by testing all
> > components against release brunch version of dependents. After all this is
> > all
> > everyone cares about. Once this passes library author is free to push the
> > changes into release branch.
>
> That's fine until you push a new version of Boost.Test to the release branch
> and then it's the release branch that breaks....

That will be my problem (even though infrastructure in theory can help as well).
Once I'm ready to do my release, I will have to make sure release does not
break. First I can make sure trunk builds fine (doing full regression test on as
many platforms I can get my hands on), Next I need to go after pushing necessary
changes of dependent libraries into a release. It's a process, specifically
called integration, and it's not simple, but thankfully I'll have to do it once,
and not before every commit. DVCS going through the procedure routinely.

Gennadiy