Subject: [boost] Local and Phoenix idiosyncrasy
From: Thomas Heller (thom.heller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-24 13:14:14

Hi list,

Can we please put an end to this insane idiosyncrasy going on here
lately? It doesn't lead to anywhere!

Ok, we get it ... people want to write local functions in the usual way.

Here is what I have to propose: Why not combine Boost.Local and
Boost.Phoenix and keep everybody happy?
If the macros provided by Boost.Local would emit some instance of a
phoenix::function. It would be great if this could be done completely
polymorphic, maybe some tricks with boost::any?

That way we gain these advantages:
1) We can get rid of the need to capture variables in scope by the macro.
2) People who don't want to put their functions in
global/namespace/class scope and are afraid of writing a phoenix
expression don't have to
3) The resulting lazy function will be composable in the usual phoenix
way and will be far more useful!
4) We can put an end to this useless Phoenix vs. Local discussion

In peace,
Thomas