Subject: Re: [boost] [git] neglected aspects
From: Thomas Heller (thom.heller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-08 12:56:36

On 02/08/2012 06:29 PM, Tim Blechmann wrote:
>>> Also, I notice a few other things that in my opinion could be done
>>> better to facilitate adoption of the iostreams library. I would be
>>> willing to do the work and I would in the perfect position as I am
>>> walking in the shoes of an adopter right now - but these are separate
>>> from the typo fixes and they are larger issues; considering I can't
>>> check my changes in, would I really want to have them sit on my local
>>> harddrive, waiting possibly for months for someone upstream to review
>>> and hopefully merge them ?
>>
>> So with git you pushed them to your personal fork. Over time, your fork
>> and the upstream version eventually diverge. You have to maintain your
>> changes. Same thing when the changes lurk on your local svn working.
>
> well, your svn working copy is just a bunch of files, while git's personal
> branches are part of the repository ... you can merge, rebase, stash, etc ...

Right, you have those. Now what's left is to know when to use what, etc.

> with svn your working copy gets easily out of sync ...

svn update is all you need. ever. There are conflicts from time to time.
Man up resolve them.

> the nice thing of git is that it does not really harm if your branch diverges
> from upstream, as its merge facilities are much more sophisticated than
> everything that subversion has to offer ...

I've heard that a couple of times now. My personal experience with git
however is quite the contrary. I regularly mess up my local repository.

> frankly, since i moved my code into boost's svn, i find it way more fragile to
> maintain than before

Yes, I used to advertise git too. I had the exact same experience. That
goes away. After a while, you won't look back to git, and enjoy "svn up"
and "svn commit" and start to question the usefulness of decentralized
version control systems for a centralized boost altogether.