Subject: Re: [boost] [git] neglected aspects
From: Tim Blechmann (tim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-09 06:08:20

> > with svn your working copy gets easily out of sync ...
>
> svn update is all you need. ever. There are conflicts from time to time.
> Man up resolve them.

true, but in my experience resolving conflicts with svn is much more fragile
than with git ...

> > the nice thing of git is that it does not really harm if your branch
> > diverges from upstream, as its merge facilities are much more
> > sophisticated than everything that subversion has to offer ...
>
> I've heard that a couple of times now. My personal experience with git
> however is quite the contrary. I regularly mess up my local repository.

well, you need to have an understanding of what you are doing ... but at least
all you changes are stored inside the local repository. if you mess with your
local changes, you can revert to them, if you mess with a working copy, you
mess with files that you cannot got back to ...

> > frankly, since i moved my code into boost's svn, i find it way more
> > fragile to maintain than before
>
> Yes, I used to advertise git too. I had the exact same experience. That
> goes away. After a while, you won't look back to git, and enjoy "svn up"
> and "svn commit" and

svn was a relief for me after using cvs ... i've had the same feeling when
switching to git a few years later. using svn again (for boost), it really
feels like a bad joke ...

> start to question the usefulness of decentralized
> version control systems for a centralized boost altogether.

just because git is decentralized does not mean you cannot use it for
centralized projects.

tim