Subject: Re: [boost] [git] neglected aspects
From: Julian Gonggrijp (j.gonggrijp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-10 11:01:42

Thomas Heller wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Julian Gonggrijp <j.gonggrijp_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> As promised:
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3512486/boost_branching_model.pdf (82 kB)
>
> [...]
>
> Looks good, so far. I have several questions:
> 1) What are all the steps which are not annotated? Updates by authors
> which do not work on stuff in my working set?

Just some additional commits to give the figure a slightly more
"realistic" look. ;-) They might or might not affect your working set,
I believe the picture would work either way.

> 2) What happens to that abandoned branch? Will it remain publicly visible?

Since git is decentralized, it depends on who passed the branch to
which repository (it would be public if somebody pushed the branch to
a central repository). However, if I'm right, the abandoned branch
*will* remain available in those repositories where it has been
available at all (i.e. at least the repository of the author).

> 3) What exactly is the purpose of the blue branch?

It contains the linear history of all releases, nothing more and
nothing less. One advantage of such a master branch is that you can
use merges into that branch as a trigger for running scripts. For
example: a script that clones the file tree to a new directory, strips
unnecessary files from the copy and finally wraps it into zip, bz2 and
7z archives with the version number in the name.

> 4) Will there be one big boost repository? Or will every library have
> their own sub repository?

Actually the branching model presented here doesn't presume any
specific modularization model. You can still go either way. A
monolithic Boost repository should be perfectly manageable with the
gitflow branching model, though.

> Thanks for further clarification,

Thank you for asking these questions, it helps me to further clarify
my ideas.

Also, note that the gitflow side of my picture is mostly just a
reproduction of the images (and some of the explanation) over here:

-Julian