Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] [svn] How to remove V2 files without loss of V3 history?
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-24 08:20:15

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Steven Watanabe <watanabesj_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> AMDG
>
> On 03/23/2012 02:44 AM, Beman Dawes wrote:
>>
>>> The commit "Merge back to trunk" will
>>> delete files and create moved files in their place. This triggers the
>>>  git move problem Daniel mentioned.
>>
>> IIUC, you are saying that in svn, deleting a file and then moving
>> another in its place in a single commit will lose the history of the
>> new file. Also that git would have the same problem.
>>

> SVN should handle this just fine.
>
>> I can confirm that did indeed happen in svn. The history was OK on the
>> branch, but was badly whacked after merging back to the trunk working
>> copy.
>>

> That's odd.  I tried doing a merge to trunk_at_77491
> with svn 1.7.4 and it seemed to work correctly.
> The command I uses was:
>
> svn merge https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/branches/filesystem-v3
>
> I tried svn log boost/filesystem/config.hpp
>
> and the output looked right.

Hum... "svn log boost/filesystem/config.hpp" at a quick glance looks
right, as you indicated. But TortoiseSVN's log produces a somewhat
different history that includes entries not in the svn log output! I'm
now totally confused and will need to do some checking to see which,
if either, is correct, and also why they differ.

--Beman