Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc]
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-24 13:22:23

Well I think we should be. There have been some interesting projects done by GSoC programmers.
It's a resource that we should be using.

I think one area where we are failing is to get them really finished - and reviewed. This is partly
because it is difficult (nay impossible) to stop people biting off more than they can chew in the
really very limited time available. It might be better to use GSoC to finished existing projects,
especially those that have been reviewed and accepted but need final polishing, testing and
documenting? (The latter might well be done by someone who didn't write the original stuff - and
thus 'knows too much'). This obviously needs the active support of the original author, but if he
doesn't have time, then this should be welcome.

We also failed to get thinking seriously about projects soon enough. We need to start planning
*now* for next year.

My tuppence-worth.

Paul

---