Subject: Re: [boost] Boost Modularization: did we get it right?
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-08 17:51:22

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> on Tue May 08 2012, John Maddock <boost.regex-AT-virgin.net> wrote:
>
>>> As we head toward a modularized Boost, Daniel Pfeifer we on the Ryppl
>>> project would like confirmation that we've correctly (or at least
>>> sensibly, when there's no obvious "correct") identified the module
>>> boundaries in Boost's monolithic SVN repository.  If library authors
>>> could take a few moments to examine the contents of your library's repo
>>> at https://github.com/boost-lib, and let us know, we'd be most grateful.
>>
>> I haven't tried to use it, but at first glance the files for regex,
>> math, type_traits, TR1 and integer all look right.  No doubt all the
>> relative paths in the docs will be wrong though (if they have full
>> relative paths to the headers)?
>
> Probably.  That's a good point.

If you have cmake installed, and install modularized boost:

    git clone http://github.com/boost-lib/boost boost-modules
    cd boost-modules
    git submodule update --init (16 minutes on DSL
connection)
    cmake -P forward_headers.cmake (2 minutes on SSD hard-drive)

Then symlinks to headers will be installed in a "boost" sub-tree in
the root directory. Your doc links should then work.

Caution: forward_headers.cmake was only installed a few hours ago, so
you may have to do a pull to get it if you already have done the
clone.

Caution: On Windows 7, I had to run the cmake step with administrative
privileges or forwarding headers were installed rather than symlinks.

--Beman