Subject: Re: [boost] Boost and exceptions
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-20 13:13:51

John Maddock wrote:
> Well maybe the extended throw info that Boost.Exception provides *is*
> core boost?

lol - Surprize!, it apparently it already is. Problem is, I don't like
surprises.

> And while I realize that *you* may not have been looking when this
> change happened, remember that Boost.Exception (including this
> change) was reviewed, and as I recall got a lot of discussion.

Hmmm - so this was "extensively" reviewed but no one thought
to inform users of the then current system. I only discovered it
when I started to have some sort of problems with the serialization
library. (I forget the details). So by definition it wasn't an unobstrusive
change.

The whole way this was done conflicts with the whole Boost
cooperative development model in a fundamental way. The whole
concept of development using other libraries has to be based
on the premise that once established, a library functionality can't be
changed. If one can't depend on that, then it would require me
going back and reviewing all the changes in libraries that I use
every time there's a change to verify that my origiginal understanding
of what the library does is still the same.

The new functionality should have been given a new name. There is/was no
reason that authors of other code couldn't be sent a email promoting
the benefits of the new alternative and trying to convince them that
it's worth switchiing. This is the appropriate way to do this.

> But frankly, I would prefer it if all
> libraries were on the same page here and all used
> BOOST_THROW_EXCETION consistently.

lol - you mean like the way it used to be? that's my point.

Robert Ramey