Subject: Re: [boost] Boost and exceptions
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-20 16:00:24

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hmmm - so this was "extensively" reviewed but no one thought
> to inform users of the then current system. I only discovered it
> when I started to have some sort of problems with the serialization
> library. (I forget the details). So by definition it wasn't an
> unobstrusive
> change.

No, the change wasn't entirely unobtrusive, a few wrinkles had to be ironed
out.

If you insist, I don't mind discussing the initial deployment of Boost
Exception, but perhaps it'd be a better use of everyone's time to stick to
the present.

The whole way this was done conflicts with the whole Boost
> cooperative development model in a fundamental way. The whole
> concept of development using other libraries has to be based
> on the premise that once established, a library functionality can't be
> changed.

Obviously libraries change. The important thing is to keep changes
compatible with existing code.

The "new" (several years old now) boost::throw_exception functionality is
100% compatible with the original.

> But frankly, I would prefer it if all
> > libraries were on the same page here and all used
> > BOOST_THROW_EXCETION consistently.
>
> lol - you mean like the way it used to be? that's my point.

FYI, there was no BOOST_THROW_EXCEPTION before Boost Exception.

What he means is that BOOST_THROW_EXCEPTION is preferable to
boost::throw_exception, because it allows more complete messages by
boost::diagnostic_information.

--
Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.