Subject: Re: [boost] Macro fo rBOOST_NO_NUMERIC_LIMITS_MAX_DIGITS10 or useBOOST_NO_NUMERIC_LIMITS_LOWEST
From: Marshall Clow (mclow.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-07-12 10:01:44

On Jul 11, 2012, at 10:25 AM, Paul A. Bristow wrote:

>>> Actually, this is one C++11 macro that Marshall missed for renaming.
>>
>> I didn't touch that macro, because I didn't think it was a C++11 one.
>>
>> Looking back at the discussion from last month, I see a proposal to add a new macro named
>> BOOST_NO_NUMERIC_LIMITS_MAX_DIGITS10, and when John asked for a patch, Paul contributed some
>> bits, but not a complete patch; and no one else did.
>>
>>> Maybe if we asked him nicely ;-) he would volunteer to rename this one to
>> BOOST_NO_CXX11_NUMERIC_LIMITS?
>>
>> I don't think that this is a rename job.
>> If I've misread the discussion (or misunderstood the situation), please let me know.
>
> BOOST_NO_NUMERIC_LIMITS_LOWEST works as a proxy for BOOST_NO_NUMERIC_LIMITS_MAX_DIGITS10
>
> but there are other new things added at CX11 too, so really BOOST_NO_NUMERIC_LIMITS_LOWEST turns out
> to be a bad name.
>
> John suggests renaming BOOST_NO_NUMERIC_LIMITS_LOWEST to BOOST_NO_CXX11_NUMERIC_LIMITS (and I
> think this is a god idea to avoid adding the already long list of macros).
>
> This macro BOOST_NO_CXX11_NUMERIC_LIMITS will then deal with the need for
> BOOST_NO_NUMERIC_LIMITS_MAX_DIGITS10, BOOST_NO_NUMERIC_LIMITS_LOWEST *and* all the other items
> added to numeric_limits at Cxx11.
>
> Hope this is clearer now.
>
> Paul
>
> PS And if this is done, we will need to update the docs. I will do this if you wish.

Ok, it's done (revision 79452).

The new macro is named BOOST_NO_CXX11_NUMERIC_LIMITS, replacing BOOST_NO_NUMERIC_LIMITS_LOWEST.
The old macro is still around, but set to the value of the new macro, and is listed in the "deprecated macros" section of the docs.

Paul - please feel free to update the docs to explain how this works (and update your code to use the new macro, natch).

-- Marshall

Marshall Clow Idio Software <mailto:mclow.lists_at_[hidden]>

A.D. 1517: Martin Luther nails his 95 Theses to the church door and is promptly moderated down to (-1, Flamebait).
        -- Yu Suzuki