Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Test updates in trunk: need for (mini) review?
From: Alexander Lamaison (awl03_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-10-22 14:09:43

Gennadiy Rozenal <rogeeff_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Vicente J. Botet Escriba <vicente.botet <at> wanadoo.fr> writes:
>
>> > Attachment of decorator is facilitated by using of
>> > BOOST_TEST_DECORATOR. Note
>> > that you can use any of '+', '-', '*' symbols to attach decorator
>> > (and any number of '*'):
>> Is there a difference between them? and if not why do you provide all of
>> them?
>
> Only esthetic. I did not know what users would prefer and there were
> no problems
> maintaining all of them.

I'd encourage you to choose just one. Most importantly to prevent
confusion when someone who is used to using one symbol reads tests
written by someone else and doesn't realise the different symbol they
use means the same thing. Also, it leaves further symbols available
should you ever want to use one to mean something else.

Out of the three, my favourite is '+'. '-' looks like you're removing
something and '***' looks like a comment at first glance.

Another character that would be idea is '@' which Python and Java use
but, if your implementation is based on operators, I guess that one
isn't possible.

Alex