Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Documentation for Git and Modular Boost conversion
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-11 11:49:58

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Paul A. Bristow
<pbristow_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> * GitHub.? exercise? and other links are broken?

Fixed all the broken links, including creation of
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/StartGitHub

> * Layout of directory structure seems a significantly different structure to most Boost libraries,
> with boost_1-0-99/boost and boost_1-0-99/libs (as referenced
> http://www.boost.org/development/requirements.html#Directory_structure. Is this intended?
>
> * Where do example and doc (and build and src go)?
>
> * Surely no library project (however simple) should exist without /doc and /example (and /test)
> folders?

I've added a comment explaining the omissions are for the sake of brevity.

> * The output from any non-trivial library will be better sent to a log file - and even simple ones
> that don't work as expected are better attached to a "help!" message than pasted suffering
> end-of-line mutilation by the mail program.

Changed.

> * "Hint: (((git help command-name}}}... " does look right? A TODO?

Fixed formatting typo.

> * Has anyone actually used these instructions yet?
> (Some previous Boost instructions didn't actually work if you followed them blindly :-(

They work on my main desktop Windows machine. Has anyone else tried them?

> * These instructions don't guide a user with an IDE Visual Studio, NetBeans, Eclipse ... on how to
> set up their project so that it can be easily transferred from (and to) the development tool.

Perhaps Boosters could contribute pages for various IDE's. I could do
VisualStudio, but doubt I'll have time in the immediate future.

> * Nor do they deal with the most common case of people moving sandbox SVN projects to git. Or will
> this be done automatically? (Some might be pruned as obsolete/abandoned?

There has been some discussion of that, but no one has committed to
documenting the process. Any takers?

Thanks for your careful reading, much appreciated!

--Beman