Subject: Re: [boost] [atomic] ARM needs more eyes too
From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-22 09:44:40

Tim Blechmann wrote:
> i need another pair of eyes regarding boost.atomic on x86:

It's not only x86 that needs more eyes. I wrote the ARM code, and it
is full of FIXMEs. Although I believe that it basically works, I don't
know anything like enough about e.g. memory barriers and the current
code is little more than a guess. This really should be reviewed by
someone more knowledgeable before it is released.

One thing that definitely needs attention is the ARM architecture
versions detection stuff, which needs to cope with "ARM v7S" (related: https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/7599).

Also, how do people feel about using Boost.Atomic underneath
shared_ptr? (https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/5625 - again,
I've been using this for a long time and it seems to work.) Maybe as a
non-default initially if we're nervous. It might help to find any bugs
in Boost.Atomic...

Regards, Phil.