Subject: Re: [boost] Release managers: Boost.Thread breaking changes in 1.53
From: Olaf van der Spek (ml_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-30 14:48:43

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Bjorn Reese <breese_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 2012-12-30 12:58, Vicente J. Botet Escriba wrote:
>
>> I would like to request advise from the release managers and of course
>> the Boost community. Should I rollback the default to
>> BOOST_THREAD_VERSION==3 for 1.53 and let the time to discuss the best
>> way to manage with these breaking changes?
>

> Given that the breaking changes are due to alignment with C++11, I
> think that this is a good reason to break compatibility per default.
> Users have upgraded to a new version of Boost, so some upgrade cost
> is expected. If users are unwilling (or unable) to upgrade their
> implementation, they can easily revert to BOOST_THREAD_VERSION 2.

No, they can't.
Some users use the Boost libs provided by their (Linux) distribution.
They can't just #define BOOST_THREAD_VERSION 2

If I move from boost::thread to std::thread then yes, I'm expecting
some costs moving.
But merely 'upgrading' Boost, which might not require any action from
the developer himself, should not come with such costs.

--
Olaf