Subject: Re: [boost] Release managers: Boost.Thread breaking changes in 1.53
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-30 18:38:44

Le 30/12/12 20:48, Olaf van der Spek a écrit :
> On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Bjorn Reese <breese_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> On 2012-12-30 12:58, Vicente J. Botet Escriba wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to request advise from the release managers and of course
>>> the Boost community. Should I rollback the default to
>>> BOOST_THREAD_VERSION==3 for 1.53 and let the time to discuss the best
>>> way to manage with these breaking changes?
>>
>> Given that the breaking changes are due to alignment with C++11, I
>> think that this is a good reason to break compatibility per default.
>> Users have upgraded to a new version of Boost, so some upgrade cost
>> is expected. If users are unwilling (or unable) to upgrade their
>> implementation, they can easily revert to BOOST_THREAD_VERSION 2.
> No, they can't.
> Some users use the Boost libs provided by their (Linux) distribution.
> They can't just #define BOOST_THREAD_VERSION 2
Well, I have made the effort to make it possible for a boost_thread
library compiled with BOOST_THREAD_VERSION 3, to accept code compiled
with version BOOST_THREAD_VERSION 2. Of course there could be an
incompatibility if two part of the application defines
BOOST_THREAD_VERSION with different values.
> If I move from boost::thread to std::thread then yes, I'm expecting
> some costs moving.
> But merely 'upgrading' Boost, which might not require any action from
> the developer himself, should not come with such costs.
I agree with you, and I believed that letting the user 3 releases to
move to the new behavior was enough. It seems that I was wrong.

Best,
Vicente