Subject: Re: [boost] [GSOC] Are we going to participate?
From: Michael Marcin (mike.marcin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-14 00:04:54

Boris Schaeling wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 08:17:15 +0100, Antony Polukhin
> <antoshkka_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Today starts Google Summer of Code.
>> Is Boost community will become one of the mentoring organizations?
>>
>> What project ideas are we proposing? (As for me, I'd love to see
>> unique_ptr+unique_array implemented using Boost.Move; C++11 features
>> support for MPL, Fusion, Graph, Bind, Optional; BTree library; library
>> for getting system info)
>
> Andrew was the GSoC administrator for Boost in the previous years but
> unfortunately has no time this year. So I jump in. I just created the
> Wiki page <https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2013> and will send
> around another email in the coming days. For now I encourage everyone to
> brainstorm just like Antony did about what you would like to see in
> Boost. Google didn't invite us last year to participate in the program,
> and the reason was that we didn't have enough ideas/projects. So feel
> free to send ideas to this mailing list or add them to the Wiki page.
> For now no idea is too stupid - and even if it is, it might help someone
> else to get a good idea. :)

We don't have to volunteer to implement any of these ideas right? :)

- Hardware graphics (OpenGL/OpenGL|ES/DirectX abstraction)
- Audio library (OpenAL/FMOD/etc)
- GUI library
- Input library (like DirectInput/XInput)
- Reliable UDP ontop of asio (maybe UDT?)
- fixed-point math library (binary scaling)
- spatial indexes (previous gsoc don't know it's status)
- extension library (previous gsoc don't know it's status)
- rating system algorithms (elo/TrueSkill)
- std::packaged_task scheduler (like tbb's, with task stealing)
- geometry library (convince the developers to submit eigen3 to boost)
- physics library (ODE/Havok/PhysX/etc abstraction)
- json parsing libary
- relational database library (what ever happened with boost and soci?)
- document database library (couchdb/mongodb/etc)
- memcache library (seems to already be a boosty one written by Dean
Michael Berris)
- expected<T> (http://tinyurl.com/clv3bsj)
- approximate string matching
- trie data structure