Subject: [boost] License of endian and limits in Boost detail
From: Philip Bennefall (philip_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-05 02:29:42

Hi all,

For my project, I am trying to stick exclusively to the Boost Software license. I wanted to use boost/cstdint.hpp, which pulls in a lot of content (boost/config.hpp is the one that includes the most). Among the things it includes I see boost/detail/endian.hpp and boost/detail/limits.hpp. In both of these, I see:

/*
 * Copyright (c) 1997
 * Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.
 *
 * Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute and sell this software
 * and its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee,
 * provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and
 * that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear
 * in supporting documentation. Silicon Graphics makes no
 * representations about the suitability of this software for any
 * purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty.
 */

This looks to me like it enforces inclusion of the above text in object code distributions, which as far as I know is something that the Boost license requirements say must not be done. Looking at http://www.boost.org/users/license.html I see:

Must not require that the license appear with executables or other binary uses of the library.

Is there a Boost license alternative?

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall