Subject: Re: [boost] License of endian and limits in Boost detail
From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-06 07:55:40

Philip Bennefall wrote:
> For my project, I am trying to stick exclusively to the Boost Software
> license. I wanted to use boost/cstdint.hpp, which pulls in a lot of
> content (boost/config.hpp is the one that includes the most). Among
> the things it includes I see boost/detail/endian.hpp and
> boost/detail/limits.hpp.

limits.hpp says:

// Copyright 2001 John Maddock
// Distributed under the Boost Software License, Version 1.0. (See accompany-
// ing file LICENSE_1_0.txt or copy at http://www.boost.org/LICENSE_1_0.txt)

/*
  * Copyright (c) 1997
  * Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.
  *
  * Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute and sell this software
  * and its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee,
  * provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and
  * that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear
  * in supporting documentation. Silicon Graphics makes no
  * representations about the suitability of this software for any
  * purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty.
  */

Is John Maddock reading this?

What is the story? Clearly it's not possible to take the SGI-licensed
code and
to re-license it under the Boost licence without either (a) getting
permission or
(b) knowing that the licences are compatible, which isn't true in this
case in
this direction.

Has this really been broken for 12 years?

Phil.