Subject: [boost] Windows Binary Builds
From: Tom Kent (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-15 22:45:02

A couple months ago some of us got an e-mail from Dave Abrams saying that
since BoostPro was going to be shutting down, there wouldn't be anyone
maintaining the windows binary installer that they had been offering. Since
I have been making windows binaries available on my site for the last
several releases [http://boost.teeks99.com], he suggested that I take this
over.

I currently have a simple zip file (self extracting though) that just grabs
all the 32 bit or 64 bit binaries...and they're huge, 6-8GB installed. So
going forward I've built a system to make one installer for each
tool/architecture: msvc-8.0-32, msvc-9.0-32, msvc-10.0-32, msvc-11.0-32,
msvc-8.0-64, msvc-9.0-64, msvc-10.0-64, msvc-11.0-64. In addition to the
binaries for that architecture, I would also include the boost release
inside the installer. This way it is a single download/single install for
everything an end-user developer would need (for each architecture). If a
user wants multiple architectures, he/she can run multiple installers and
they will instill on top of each other (with seperate lib directories for
each set of binaries...for example: boost_1_53_0/lib_32-msvc-8.0 and
boost_1_53_0/lib_64-msvc-11.0).

All the scripts I use to build these (assume visual studio pro 8.0, 9.0,
10.0, and 11.0) are on my github account at:
https://github.com/teeks99/boost-build

If you want to see for yourself, I have the 1.53 installers on my website
at:
http://boost.teeks99.com/bin/boost_1_53_0-msvc-8.0-32.exe
http://boost.teeks99.com/bin/boost_1_53_0-msvc-9.0-32.exe
http://boost.teeks99.com/bin/boost_1_53_0-msvc-10.0-32.exe
http://boost.teeks99.com/bin/boost_1_53_0-msvc-11.0-32.exe
http://boost.teeks99.com/bin/boost_1_53_0-msvc-8.0-64.exe
http://boost.teeks99.com/bin/boost_1_53_0-msvc-9.0-64.exe
http://boost.teeks99.com/bin/boost_1_53_0-msvc-10.0-64.exe
http://boost.teeks99.com/bin/boost_1_53_0-msvc-11.0-64.exe

If we like this going forward, I'd be happy to upload these to sourceforge
for each release, instead of having to go to my site for them.

Thoughts?
Tom Kent