Subject: [boost] [gsoc-2013] Physics Library Abstraction Layer
From: Preston Hamlin (prestonwhamlin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-19 21:59:12

On Apr 19, 2013 4:10 AM, "Michael Marcin" <mike.marcin_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> Is the library to be built upon a specific physics library (PhysX for
>> instance) by utilizing existing code in the respective SDK to abstract
away
>> much of the object management?
>>

> That seems like one workable option.
>

>> Or is it meant to be built from the ground up to create generic objects,
>> which can then be translated into an arbitrary format for an existing
>> library?
>>

> I'm not sure what this means.

Thank-you. I was primary confused as to whether or not a specific library
would be targeted, since doing so would mean a separate project for each
physics platform (if more than one were desired). I suppose I was
overthinking things.

For the second option, I meant a group of objects and methods generic
enough to be replicated in any popular physics library. In this case, there
would be a system to take this code (almost like pseudocode) and translate
it to an existing physics library format.

I have completed a draft proposal and would appreciate some feedback:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7xhha0a3ahk5p6r/preston_hamlin_gsoc_proposal_draft.pdf

Many thanks,

-Preston