Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc-2013] Boost.Thread/ThreadPool project
From: pavel (paul.cpprules_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-02 11:24:16

 Dan wrote on Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 13:58:35:
> Hello,

> I have updated my proposal following your guide and tried to answer
> and give solution to most of the problems. I have tried to separate
> the interface with the implementation details so when choosing an
> interface a feature can be easily added by following the exact
> interface header so multiple implementations can be used without
> affecting the user(ex: scheduling algorithm for dynamic thereads,
> bounded/unbounded queues etc). I hope this approach is better.

> You can find the pdf version here [1]. The previous version of the
> proposal can be found here [2].

> Thank you very much for the feedback, suggestions, guidance and the
> really fast answers.

> [1] http://danlincan.3owl.com/gsoc/final-proposal.pdf
> [2] http://danlincan.3owl.com/gsoc/Proposal.pdf

perhaps not _this_ time, that is not this 2013 GSOC, but eventually
you may want to consider a lock-free priority queue algorithm for
storing tasks and not use locks

although lock-free algorithms are somewhat hard to comprehend, all the
more so about _priority_ queues, but in the end that's, beside other
things, what one would expect from modern implementation of thread pool

moreover, you, as a student loving algorithms and analysis, may like
to dig into the lock-free algorithms in general

good luck

--
Pavel
P.S.