Subject: Re: [boost] Git Modularization Ready for Review
From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-09 04:09:49

On 9 May 2013 02:54, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> IIUC, It is really just a renaming, so the history is still there. If
> you do a log on develop you will see all the history from what used to
> be called trunk.

The problem is that if someone checks out a repo and run git annotate
or bisect, then it's quite likely they'll just find changes with the
title 'Merge to release' with lots of changes merged together. Which
is not very helpful.

> Part of why I consider the mapping (or, if you prefer, renaming) to be
> so important is that we need to verify that the history follows along
> and is not disrupted.

Can't we design a release system so that the current release branch is
labelled with something like 'svn-release' or just 'release' and that
it used until a developer tags/branches for a new release? I don't
know how it's planned to work, but I expect that's feasible.