Subject: Re: [boost] Extremely large Visual Studio libboost_log_setup* binaries
From: Antony Polukhin (antoshkka_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-07-04 01:27:18

2013/7/3 Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]>

> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 10:18 PM, Antony Polukhin <antoshkka_at_[hidden]
> >wrote:
>

> > I'll just explain what confuses me:
> > * Stripped logger library is bigger than any other Boost library.
> >

> So what?

Support library for logging is bigger than other libraries (including wave
and serialization). You think that it is OK?

> > * Logger library contains implementation of call_once, thread local
> > storage, atomics, nonblocking queues... IMO it is not the right place for
> > that functionality. It must be merged with Boost.Thread, Boost.Atomic and
> > other Boost libraries if Boost.Log implementation is better.
> >

> Ok, let's see how much space they take. This is what the static debug libs
> consist of:

<...>

Do not mix chops and flies. Binaries size and duplicate functionality are
different points.
Do I really need to explain why duplicating code/functionality is bad?

> * Non-stripped Boost.Log bloats binary installer *much* more than any other
> > Boost library.
> >

> Although I don't aim to minimize the binary size, that's something I'd like
> to address, if possible.

Thank you. I'd love to see those changes!

--
Best regards,
Antony Polukhin