Subject: [boost] Removing old config macro and increasing compiler requirements.
From: Stephen Kelly (steveire_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-07-29 07:17:35

Hi there,

I've been working on the modularization effort from a CMake point of view,
and from an 'actual modularization' point of view, looking at
interdependencies:

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.ryppl.devel/9/focus=26

I'd like to start on reducing interdependencies, and I'd like to start
reasonably small, as no-one in the boost community knows me and see how it
goes from there. I'm very active in CMake, Qt and KDE.

Currently, in the modularized boost repos, boost::config and boost::core
depend on each other. I listed 3 ways of fixing this on the ryppl list:

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.ryppl.devel/201

My preference is the removal of
BOOST_NO_EXPLICIT_FUNCTION_TEMPLATE_ARGUMENTS, and requiring compilers to
have the feature. That way boost/config/suffix.hpp will no longer need to
include boost/{non_,}type.hpp.

My preference is increasing the compiler requirement, because that may open
up more similar opportunities for reducing dependencies and
interdependencies throughout boost.

Grepping indicates that that means increasing the compiler requirements to
something like __DMC__ > 0x840, GCC > 3.2, BOOST_INTEL_CXX_VERSION > 500,
VC++ > 7.0.

Comments?

Thanks,

Steve.