Subject: Re: [boost] Removing old config macro and increasing compiler requirements.
From: Andrew Ho (helloworld922_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-05 18:47:56

> 1. C++03 is exactly as old as Visual Studio 2003 is.

C++03 is also as new as VS2010, and to a lesser extend VS2012 which is the
current release of VS and still does not support key C++11 language features.

The latest version of MinGW (gcc 4.8.1) for Windows also does not support some
of the features mandated by C++11 (mainly library features). The defaults for
gcc compilers (and I think clang compilers) is also still C++03 (i.e. the user
must specify -std=c++11 to get C++11)

I don't know what the state of Intel's compiler is.

I don't think dropping C++03 support is warranted at this time, though I do
think requiring C++03 minimum compatibility would be ok if it already isn't
(especially since C++98 is very similar to C++03).