Subject: [boost] [git]Re: Modular boost directory structure
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-25 17:00:21

On 08/25/2013 10:20 PM, Edward Diener wrote:
> I am seeing at https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/StartModDev that
> the modular Boost directory structure is:
>
> simple
> include
> boost
> simple
> twice.hpp
> test
> twice_test.cpp
> Jamfile.v2
> doc // from the notes on the page
> index.html
>
> Is this the latest correct information ?

looks about right too me, Dave will know for sure.

> BTW I have not been able to figure out how to add and move directories
> using git in a local copy. Instead I have just done so using the OS and
> git seems to figure it out but I have a feeling I have lost git history
> in doing so.

As far as I know it does not mater much if you are using OS tools to
move or rename files or you are using "git mv" command. Git will
discover and track the change the same way - either way. Git does not
really track the file rename by creating a record of any sort when you
use "git mv", however it discover and trace file similarity between your
commits, Later its history inspecting tools traces the fact that a file
disappeared in a commit and an identical or similar file appeared in
that same commit. The history tools will view this as a move.

Sometimes I get paranoid that this may not be working perfectly, So it
happens I do restructuring with file moves in separate commits pushed to
the main repository without doing any file modifications in the same
commit - just to help git to simpler trace the move later and follow
file history across the moves. But that is probably just me being more
careful than needed.

HTH

--
Bjørn