Subject: Re: [boost] [clang] How to use CLang for Windows?
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-09-24 08:00:33

On 9/23/2013 11:39 PM, Beman Dawes wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 5:57 PM, Sergey Cheban <s.cheban_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> 23.09.2013 5:26, Daryle Walker wrote:
>>
>> There was a recent conference where the Clang team announced a version of
>>> Clang
>>>
>>> that's supposed to work on Windows (as opposed to kind-of working
>>> if you try real hard).
>> Currently, it fails to process <iostream> with the following error
>> messages:
>>
>> 1>CL : error : cannot mangle RTTI descriptors for type 'codecvt' yet
>> 1>CL : error : cannot mangle the name of type 'codecvt' into RTTI
>> descriptors yet
>> 1>CL : error : cannot mangle RTTI descriptors for type 'codecvt_base' yet
>> 1>CL : error : cannot mangle the name of type 'codecvt_base' into RTTI
>> descriptors yet
>> 1>CL : error : cannot mangle RTTI descriptors for type 'facet' yet
>> 1>CL : error : cannot mangle the name of type 'facet' into RTTI
>> descriptors yet
>> 1>CL : error : cannot mangle RTTI descriptors for type '_Facet_base' yet
>> 1>CL : error : cannot mangle the name of type '_Facet_base' into RTTI
>> descriptors yet
>>
>> OTOH, it can process <memory> and <stdio.h> (haven't tried other headers
>> yet), use some modern c++ features and produce working executables.
>>

> FWIW, I'm spoken to several of the Clang developers yesterday and today at
> the C++ standards committee meeting, and they emphasize their interest in
> improving support under Windows and would like help in the form of bug
> reports as they work out the kinks. They know they have a long way to go,
> but seem very interested in doing whatever is needed to make clang work
> really well on Windows.

That's nice but my experience in the past has been that no one on the
clang mailing list responded when the inability to even build clang for
Windows was made known to them.

Furthermore Boost.Build did not support clang for Windows when I last
tried it.

So if I try to build and use clang for Windows to whom do I report
problems about clang ? Furthermore does Boost.Build now have support for
clang for Windows ?

Clang is a great compiler under Linux. And I am willing to try to get it
to work under Windows using Boost.Build to test Boost libraries, my own
and others, under Windows, reporting problems to the appropriate places.
But not if I am once again met by indifference when problems occur.