Subject: Re: [boost] [clang] How to use CLang for Windows?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-09-24 13:06:42

On 24 Sep 2013 at 8:00, Edward Diener wrote:

> That's nice but my experience in the past has been that no one on the
> clang mailing list responded when the inability to even build clang for
> Windows was made known to them.

I don't think it's a huge priority - yet - for the two big developers
of clang because MSVC is the de facto compiler on Windows. However
clang's AST library is certainly of *great* interest to Windows
developers, and that part appears to be very well maintained for
Windows. I even found some website providing regular prebuilt Windows
binaries for clang's AST library.

> Furthermore Boost.Build did not support clang for Windows when I last
> tried it.

Yeah I misspoke earlier; I was building Boost using scons, not
Boost.Build, and therefore my earlier comment about simply asking b2
for clang was wrong. Sorry. My memory is ailing with age sadly :(

> Clang is a great compiler under Linux. And I am willing to try to get it
> to work under Windows using Boost.Build to test Boost libraries, my own
> and others, under Windows, reporting problems to the appropriate places.
> But not if I am once again met by indifference when problems occur.

If you were to marry clang with the libstdc++ 4.8 headers in
mingw-w64 (it's a simple enough recompile to swap the hardcoded
header locations), I think you'd see great success as a mingw
substitute.

But then mingw has just moved to 4.8, both in traditional mingw and
mingw-w64, and combined with the much improved VS2013 that eliminates
a good chunk of the need for clang on Windows.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/