Subject: [boost] [git] [conversion] Schedule and remaining showstoppers?
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-15 08:48:08

It seems to me the best time for the svn to modular git changeover is right
after a Boost release. That will give us the maximum time window to get the
new house in order before the subsequent release. So should we convert
right after 1.55 ships?

I'm well aware that there is a long list of conversion related tasks that
we haven't completed. But the svn -> git conversion process itself is so
complex that only Dave and Daniel can make modifications. They have done a
staggering amount of work already and are nearing exhaustion. Once the
conversion is done, there are many of us that understand git well enough to
help with problems.

For example, https://github.com/ryppl/Boost2Git/issues/5, "Mimic gitfow",
is a showstopper in that what is now "master" should be "develop" and the
true "master" (i.e. releases) branch needs to be synthesized. But while it
would be great if the Boost2Git process could handle that, it could
probably also be do by a post-conversion step performed by git and other
command line tools that many of us could help with. Messy, but I'm not
willing to take a further delay waiting for perfection.

Which of the issues in
https://github.com/ryppl/Boost2Git/issues?state=openare true show
stoppers?

Are there any true showstoppers missing from that list?

--Beman