Subject: Re: [boost] [modularization] Modularizing Boost (modularization)
From: Joel Falcou (joel.falcou_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-18 10:10:18

On 18/10/2013 15:16, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> On 10/18/2013 02:19 PM, Beman Dawes wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 6:24 PM, Stephen Kelly<steveire_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> my plan for modularizing and modernizing Boost was roughly this:
>>>
>>> * Phase 0 - remove dead weight by bumping compiler feature requirements
>>> * Phase 1 - move some files around so that the modularized repos form a
>>> mostly directed graph
>>> * Phase 2 - Form some kind of 'boost core library' or 'boost feature
>>> normalization library' from the guts of existing libraries like
>>> type_traits, static_assert, config mpl and utilities.
>>> * Phase 3 - Try to port the mpl to variadic templates so that the
>>> dependency on Boost.PP is not needed when variadic templates are available.
>>>

>> Herb Sutter has pointed out that approximately 15 months from now all
>> widely used compilers and their libraries will be C++11/14 compliant,
>> modulo residual bugs.
> Widely used is irrelevant on this list. See the responses to threads
> I've started.

Versionning exist for a reason. Modern boost development using C++11 and
forward should move to a 2.0 version. Old compilers will be supported in
the 1.x branch.
End of the story.

I cannot stress enough how i feel important for the whoel library to
embrace C++1z and champion it as we did with C++03 and proper pratccies
years ago and your efforts are more than a great step in this direction.