Subject: Re: [boost] [git help] Documenting common modular boost workflows
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-21 12:28:50

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Peter Dimov <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams wrote:
>
>> IIUC we already agreed long ago to use gitflow:

Yes, but how do Boost developers and release managers "use gitflow" ?

> It's not entirely clear to me what using gitflow would mean in the context
> of a Boost superproject with per-library submodules. Who is "we" who would
> be using gitflow, the Boost release managers or the library maintainers?
> When Boost release 1.64.0 is started, who is going to create the gitflow
> release branch, and from what?

Yes, those are exactly the sort of questions I had in mind. Sorry for not
being more explicit. Let me try again:

1) What git/TortoiseGit/other commands would a Boost library maintainer
have to execute if, after following
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/TryModBoost, they wish to fix a
simple bug in their "develop" branch?

For that matter, does a Boost library maintainer even start by
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/TryModBoost? Is there a more
preferable approach?

2) What git/TortoiseGit/other commands would a Boost library maintainer
have to execute if, after (1) they wanted to merge it into their library's
"master' branch?

etc.

--Beman