Subject: Re: [boost] [git] [modular boost] Switchover schedule proposal
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-27 12:55:24

Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On Saturday 26 October 2013 13:56:28 Beman Dawes wrote:
>>
> I'd like to ask you (or anyone else working on the transition to git)
> to post a formal email to this list describing the final workflow with
> Boost for the developers, when the transition is complete. I know
> about master and develop branches and that there were scripts to
> checkout the monolithic Boost. But there are many more questions that
> need to be answered,

This is not intended to replace the formal email you requested, but I
can answer some of your questions:

> like:
>
> - Will there be a lockdown for master branches during the release
> cycle?

If by "master branches" you mean those in the Boost submodules,
there's no need for such a lockdown as far as I can tell.

> - Will there be support branches for particular releases?

Which branches get created depends on who owns the repository in
question. Thus, If you are talking about whole-Boost releases, then
that is up to the community and the release managers. If you are
talking about individual library releases, that is up to the individual
library maintainers.

> - What branches will be tested?

I don't know the answer to that one.

> - What is the procedure for me applying patches to the libraries I don't
> maintain (e.g. to fix breakage in an other library)?

Submit pull requests on GitHub

> - Will we keep using trac for tickets?

There's no immediate plan to change anything about how our issue
tracking works.

> and all other things people need to know to perform the development,
> like before the transition. I'm not asking you to answer these
> questions right now, I just wanted to make sure that those not
> following closely all the conversations on the transition (like
> myself) won't be left in the uncertainty.

-Dave