Subject: Re: [boost] [git] [modular boost] Switchover schedule proposal
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-27 13:03:03

Antony Polukhin <antoshkka_at_[hidden]> writes:

I can answer one of your questions below:

> - Can I merge and delete branches in GIT without affecting the whole system
> stability (for example `conversion` library currently contains branches
> like `filesystem_V3`)

If you're a library maintainer, yes. The only branches that you must
maintain for system stability are "develop" and "master." However, be
aware that some branches in the Boost super-project repository may be
referencing commits on your branches. It would be better to rename the
branch in question as a nested tag, e.g.

  refs/heads/some-old-branch

becomes

  refs/tags/old-branches/some-old-branch

then it will hide, but the commit won't disappear.

Beman, it might make sense for us to make those changes as part of the
conversion.