Subject: Re: [boost] [math] Contribution and TODO-list implementation.
From: Christopher Kormanyos (e_float_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-01 07:17:53

>> And of course we'll try to help you as much as we can,
>> John.

> Thank you so much for prompt reply! Most likely, I'll try to implement Bessel
> function derivatives. I'll write after some results!

This is actually a pretty good idea, derivatives of Bessel
functions.

Please be advised that writing any research thesis and
contributing to Boost is a very individual effort.

John mentioned that we can help in some way,
but quite honestly, you would be researching and
writing independently for long stretches because we
simply do not have the time for full-time research advisers.

In particular, I have been getting involved in *way* too
many projects recently, and I have at least a year of
backlogged projects to work through.

That being said, I believe that such a contribution
--- if you are the man for the job --- would be a good
topic for your thesis.

It is also always a good idea to round out any thesis or
research work with practical examples. So in your thesis,
you should also include some applications.

One application might be, for example, using Bessel function
derivatives to assist in the computation of certain zeros
of Bessel functions. When we added the zeros of Bessel
functions last year, we used a "poor man's" derivative
calculation in some expansion regions via a trivial recursion
relation --- which is slow because it requires the calculation
of multiple Bessel functions. Having "native" derivatives
of Bessel functions could improve these calculations.
And this would be one of your examples, and a further
contribution to the code.

You should also seek out one or two other examples
such as special functions expanded in Bessel derivatives,
and also extend these to multiprecision.

You might also consider including in some way
an investigation of the basic tenets of generic numeric
programming with Boost.Math and Boost.Multiprecision.
Although this is a research topic that can stand alone,
you might consider include it in something like a final chapter
or an appendix. This would pave the way for another
research paper wholly dedicated to generic numeric
programing in C++ with Boost.

Good luck and keep in touch with further progress.

Sincerely, Chris.

On Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:00 AM, bikineev <ant.bikineev_at_[hidden]> wrote:

John Maddock <john <at> johnmaddock.co.uk> writes:

> And of course we'll try to help you as much as we can,
> John.

Thank you so much for prompt reply! Most likely, I'll try to implement Bessel
function deriatives. I'll write after some results!