Subject: Re: [boost] Trying modular Boost
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-01 14:36:05

On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 5:53 AM, Paul A. Bristow <pbristow_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> FWIW here are some things I didn't understand or did wrong.
>
> (And, of course, playing Devil's Decidedly Dumb Advocate ;-)
>
> 1 How do I know if I have the right version of Git? Open GitHub icon and
> check Tools/About?
>
> 2 Windows hint: If you install TortoiseGIT, avoid incompatibilities by
> using the command line
> version of Git that TortoiseGIT installs. I.E. place C:\Program Files
> (x86)\Git\cmd in your path
> ahead of any other git binaries, such as cygwin.
>
> Huh? Am I Shelling, Bashing, Batting or Powershelling?
>
> How do I do that? How do I check that I have done this right? Open a
> Windows command window?

I've updated both:

https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/Git/GitHome
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/TryModBoost

To try to address those concerns.

> Many Windowers will not know how to find/edit their path (and should not
> need to know?).
> A link would help. If you have dozens of items in the path, this is
> pretty awkward to edit?

I'm trying to avoid things that are widely known and easy to find out more
about with your favorite search engine.

> But (after a frustrating failure to get SSH access to work - in a separate
> post) I got to the main
> course using https:
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/boost.git
>
> Submodule 'io' (https://github.com/boostorg/io.git) registered for path
> 'libs/io'
> Submodule 'iostreams' (https://github.com/boostorg/iostreams.git)
> registered for path
> 'libs/iostreams'
>
> <big snip>
>
> Cloning into 'tools/quickbook'...
> Submodule path 'tools/quickbook': checked out
> '340c65150d175ffc20a9a877247928b3ed5eba1b'
>
> Success (4040769 ms @ 31-Dec-2013 17:00:21)
>
> Just over an hour (using my nominal 10 mbps living-in-the-boondocks but
> line-of-sight radio link) -
> something that should be noted in the docs (along with a strong
> recommendation to send to a log
> file)?

I've done a lot of cloning here during testing, and it is taking 45 minutes
on my 3.0 mbps DSL connection. I'm guessing your actual radio link speed is
well below 10 mbps or there is some other bottleneck. Anyhow, I mentioned
the rough time and rough disk space needs to act as a heads up.

Also added a ">clone.log" to the clone command.

> Other you would miss/lose this very useful info?
>
> Building the Boost C++ Libraries.
> Performing configuration checks
> - symlinks supported : no
> - hardlinks supported : yes
> - 32-bit : yes
> .
>
> And I could test system library OK J
>
> Phew!
>
> Paul
>
> PS I had an existing (luckily current) b2.exe at c:\program files\Boost
> and this is implicitly in my
> PATH. Do we need to be more specific about how b2 is stored and accessed?
> Some check that b2.exe
> vcvars32.bat etc are all set up correctly would be good?

I think that's better covered elsewhere. Maybe in the general "Getting
started with boost..." material.

Thanks, and I'm glad you are up and running!

--Beman